In close collaboration with INTERDEM, Alzheimer Nederland and Alzheimer Europe, JAIN will organize the World JAIN Challenge (WJC) on the 23rd, and the 24th of March 2022. The WJC 2022 is a public competition for developed or prototyped technical products and services based on Artificial Intelligence. It concerns products that support the quality of life and self-reliance of people with memory problems or dementia and their informal carers and that will support professionals and informal carers in providing optimal care for their loved ones. The announcement of the winners will be on the 6th of April 2022.
The WJC will combine worldwide the knowledge of people with memory problems or dementia, informal carers, and healthcare professionals which will lead to improvements in dementia care. The WJC will bring all people involved together, from different countries, to form a World learning community, in which we learn from each other and inspire each other. Together we can take innovative steps in healthcare and thereby improve the lives of people with dementia and their informal carers.
The event is organized for people with memory problems or dementia, informal carers, healthcare professionals, and others interested in these topics. The WJC 2022 is a competition in which an independent jury determines which is the best technical prototype or fully-fledged product of the World.
The official language of the World JAIN Challenge is English. Participation in the World JAIN Challenge is free of charge.
Call for registration of participants in the World JAIN Challenge
Developers, companies, universities, healthcare institutions, healthcare professionals who want to participate in the WJC can make themselves known and register with the secretary of the event.
Registration of prototype and product descriptions is possible from May 15, 2021 to January 28, 2022.
The closing date for registration of participants in the WJC 2022 is Friday, January 28, 2022 - 12:00 PM (GMT)
Upon submission, entrants will receive guidelines that the submissions of a prototype and product description must adhere to, as well as the terms and conditions applicable to the WJC. See: World JAIN Challenge Guidelines & Terms and Conditions for Participants
Register now at: Registration World JAIN Challenge
People who want to participate in the Challenge must submit their product prototype or a full-fledged product description in accordance with undermentioned guidelines to firstname.lastname@example.org
After submitting the project proposal, JAIN and INTERDEM will check whether the submitted product description can be processed based on the formal submission requirements. If this is not the case, the submitter will be informed and supported to correct or supplement the product description within 2 weeks. Only when you have received a confirmation from JAIN that your product description meets guidelines, are you officially registered as a participant in the WJC.
Due to the limited number of registrations, 50 product prototypes and 50 full-fledged products, it is advised that people who want to participate in the Challenge submit their product prototype or a full-fledged product description quickly.
The main objective of the World JAIN Challenge:
To form the international learning community who are the developing e-health products and services for people with memory problems or dementia, informal carers and family, informal carers, healthcare professionals, healthcare institutions, government and healthcare insurers, which:
Increase self-reliance and quality of life of people with memory problems or dementia and informal carers
Extend the time that people with memory problems or with memory problems or dementia can live in one's own living environment
Support informal carers, family, and healthcare professionals
Reduce costs within healthcare promoting affordable healthcare, with the same number of FTE's serving more clients
Additional information related to the WJC 2022
The World JAIN Challenge is a competition for which participants can submit a product description. A product description can be a description of a product prototype or a full-fledged product.
People who want to participate in the Challenge must quickly submit their product prototype or a full-fledged product description because the number of registrations is limited, namely: 50 product prototypes and 50 full-fledged products.
From all submissions, an assessment committee will select the finalists. The selected finalists will present their product prototype or full-fledged product on the 23rd, and the 24th of March 2022. After that, the assessment committee will declare the winners of the best product prototype and the best full-fledged product. The announcement of the winners will be on the 6th of April 2022.
Requirements for a prototype or full-fledged applications that want to participate in the WJC
In this competition, a product prototype or a full-fledged product offered on the market, can be submitted for participation. Describe clearly and concretely how your project contributes to the objectives of the WJC. The effects of the submitted product on dementia care will have to be made plausible by a proper explanation of the current state of care, the intended target group, and the expected improvement in care. The application must contribute to care in one's own living environment and in line with the expectations, wishes, and situations of people with memory problems or dementia, their informal carers, and professional care staff.
Product Description Guidelines:
- The official language of the world JAIN Challenge is English
- All forwarded prototype or full-fledged product descriptions have to be written in English.
- Form requirement: WORD Doc., maximum length of 500 words, Arial font size 11, line spacing 1.15
- Describe in detail to what problem the product offers a solution for
- Describe how the product contributes to:
- Increased self-reliance and quality of life of people with memory problems or dementia and informal carers
- Extended time that people with memory problems or with memory problems or dementia can live in one’s own living environment
- Support informal carers, family, and healthcare professionals
- Reduce costs within healthcare promoting affordable healthcare, with the same number of FTEs serving more clients
- Describe your insights on the implementation of the product in healthcare
- Describe the specific value of the prototype or full-fledged product for the user
- Describe the effectiveness versus costs
- Explain by which organization the product has been tested and for what purpose
It is recommended to send a video of max. 2 min and images of the product on 1 A4 to support your application.
The closing date for registration of participants in the WJC 2022 is January 28, 2022 or before that when the maximum number of registrations has been reached.
The limited number of registrations is: 50 product prototypes and 50 full-fledged products.
Remark: prototypes are about the expected values.
INTERDEM Assessment Committee
An award committee of INTERDEM with a broad orientation in the field of dementia care, technology development, evaluation, implementation, valorisation is set up for the assessment of the applications.
The assessment committee will consist of:
- People with dementia (focus group)
- Informal carers
- Care professionals
- Dementia experts
- Artificial Intelligence experts
The assessment committee assesses the relevance and quality of all received product descriptions on the criteria below:
- Relevance and impact of the application in today's healthcare
- Has it been clearly described to which problem the application offers a solution? For example, is it clearly defined, sufficiently delineated, and adequately elaborated.
- Only applicable for full-fledged products: to what extent is the use of the application clearly described in current healthcare practice?
- To what extent does the application contribute to the WJC objectives?
- To what extent does the application contribute to care in one's own living environment?
- To what extent does the application differ from what already exists in current practice?
- To what extent can the application be expected to be applied on a larger scale in the future?
WJC Planning, Lead-time and Process - in concept and subject to change
WJC open for subscriptions: from May 15, 2021 to January 28, 2022
Supporting participants after subscription: from May 15, 2021 to January 28, 2022
Communication activities: from May 15, 2021 to May, 2022
Assessment of submitted prototype and product descriptions: Feb.2022
Delivery WJC: Pitches of selected finalists 23rd, and the 24th of March 2022.
The announcement of the winners will be on the 6th of April 2022.